Licensed waste haulers provide recycling and compost collection on the same day as your trash collection. Haulers deliver bins to new customers.
All residents and commercial properties, including multifamily, in Dakota County must recycle a designated list of materials and all haulers serving Dakota County must accept these items.
Follow these rules to ensure your recycling gets recycled:
- Do not use plastic bags. Place recyclables loose in your recycling cart or in a paper bag.
- Empty and dry bottles, jars and containers. They don't have to be perfect — just free of most residue.
- Leave caps on containers.
- Empty and flatten boxes.
- Check the Recycling Guide if you are not sure about an item.
Put these items in your recycling:
- Newspaper and inserts
- Magazines and catalogs
- Mail and office papers
- Corrugated cardboard
- Paperboard (e.g., cracker boxes)
- Milk and juice cartons
- Soup, broth, and wine cartons
- Juice boxes
- Aluminum, tin, and steel cans
Glass bottles and jars
Plastic bottles, containers and jugs
- Containers numbered 1, 2 or 5
- Soda, juice and water bottles
- Milk and juice jugs
- Margarine, cottage cheese, cream cheese and other tubs and lids
- Laundry detergent bottles and jugs
- Clear berry and produce containers
DO NOT put these items in your recycling cart:
- Food and liquids
- Paper plates, cups, and napkins
- Plastic bags and wrap
- Shredded paper
- Tanglers (e.g., chains, extension cords, hoses, string lights)