Updated September 1, 2022
- Replacement furnace, air conditioner, water heater and water softener installations can be inspected by submitting photos via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the permit number and project address in the email. The following PDFs have sample photos of each installation to show what areas to capture in your photos.
- Water heater/water softener inspection instructions (PDF)
- Furnace/air conditioner inspection instructions (PDF)
- Photos for re-roofing underlayment/ice and water installations and re-siding house wrap installations can now be submitted by email instead of printing and posting onsite. Send those photos to email@example.com. Please make sure they are small enough files to email and reference the permit number and address in the email. When the email is received and processed, an anytime onsite inspection will be scheduled to perform the final inspection. You are not required to be at the inspection, but we must have free access to the entire property.
- Backflow device test reports should be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- All permits are required to be submitted electronically by email. The only permits that are also allowed to be submitted by paper are residential decks, remodels, additions and accessory buildings (11x17 maximum plan size accepted). All commercial permits must be submitted digitally. Permit applications and project information can be found on our Permit Application Forms webpage. Visit the Digital Permit Submittal webpage for information on how to format emails and files for submittal. Application can be made by sending an email to email@example.com and attaching all supporting documents.
- You can view your permits and inspection results after a permit is issued by using our ePermits system - click on “Search for Permit.” You can search with the permit number or by address to see a list of all permits. There are links to view the permit information and links to see the inspections.
The City of Lakeville ePermit system can be used to apply for and obtain simple residential permits that do not require the plan review process. The ePermit system can also be used to look up permits issued to a property and see if the permit received final inspection approval. When searching this site, if any permit does not have a final date and the work was completed, contact Building Inspections to schedule a final inspection. Many times, final inspections are not scheduled and permits are still open.
Apply for an ePermit for the following projects:
- Air conditioning (new or replacement)
- Furnace replacement
- Garage heater
- Gas piping
- Lawn sprinklers
- Ventilation (HRV or ERV)
- Water heater
- Water softener
According to the Minnesota State Building Code and City Ordinance, permits are required to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish or change the occupancy of a building or structure, or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any gas, mechanical, electrical, plumbing system or other equipment, the installation of which is regulated by the code. Download a list of work exempt from permit (PDF) per the Minnesota State Building Code. If you have questions about whether or not a permit is required, contact Building Inspections before starting any work.
The Building Inspections Department is responsible for enforcing the Minnesota State Building Code. This includes plan review, permitting and inspections of all new commercial and residential structures. Building Inspections also reviews additions, alterations and remodeling of existing commercial and residential structures, and enforces the Property Maintenance Code as it applies to existing structures on a property.
Permit Activity Reports / Email Updates
The City of Lakeville maintains monthly and year-to-date permit activity reports, the most current of which are below. Sign up to get these reports emailed to you each month.